Monday 21 September 2009

Blogger Absence, Raw Food & Peace One Day

Happy Peace One Day! (see end of post ...)

Things have gotten a bit hectic these past few weeks and alas, I haven't been posting my raw food Tuesday recipes. I'm still eating lots of fresh, living raw food - I just haven't posted any of them. Here are a few of the goodies I've been feasting on in my absence ...

Raw Chia Pudding 


  • 1 part chia seeds
  • 3 parts nut "milk" (or 1 banana mixed in the blender with water)
  • dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice, etc ... (whatever strikes your fancy)
  • chopped fruit (if desired)
  • raw sweetener (if desired)
My breakfast for the past few weeks. Very versatile, quick and easy. Mix the nut milk with the spices. Add in the chia seeds and mix with a spoon in a large bowl. Make sure all the chia seeds are covered in the "milk". Place the mixture in the refrigerator. After about 20 minutes stir it again to make sure all the seeds are incorporated - sometimes the seeds can clump together. Place it back in the fridge over night (or at least 10 hours). The chia seeds will soak up the liquid and gradually get thicker.

In the morning add chopped fruit and mix to combine. You can add a squirt of raw sweetener if you'd like. Or just eat the chia pudding by itself. Okay granted this isn't the most visually appealing dish. Grey pudding - yum! Ultimately the pudding ends up tasting like the liquid you soaked the chia in. This is also a very filling breakfast that is sure to give you the energy you need throughout the day.
Raw Rocket Rainbow


Across the pond they call arugula leaves rocket. Pretty cool name eh? This simple salad has been my lunch side salad almost everyday. I tried to combine all the colours I possibly could: rocket, baby spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, radish, yellow pepper and julienned carrots.

When I took this salad to work EVERYONE who walked by was heard saying, "That looks so good". It is.

Raw Cuke Noodles


A switch up from my usual zuke noodles, this time I used the julienne peeler on a cucumber. I tossed the noodles with a pinch of sea salt and cold pressed olive oil, and served them on a bed of baby spinach.

Raw Vegan Chocolate Brownies

BROWNIE -

Remember when I posted about my first raw food class?? Well this was one of the dishes we made that night in class. Definitely worth the class fee for just this recipe alone - who knows why it took me so long to make it!! I ended up taking these to a get together (no I didn't eat all these brownies myself).


  • ¼ cup cacao powder
  • 2 cups pecans
  • 20-25 dates
  • pinch salt
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg

Grind the pecans in a food processor (careful not to over process). Place the rest of the ingredients (except the dates) in the food processor and mix well. Add dates one at a time until the mixture starts to clump together. Press the mixture into a square (or rectangular) pan and place in freezer. While the brownies firm up, make the icing.

CHOCOLATE ICING -
  • 1/3 cup agave, maple syrup or raw honey
  • ¼ cup cacao powder
  • 1 ½ tablespoon coconut oil
  • dash of vanilla extract (alcohol free)
Mix everything in a bowl. Pour the icing over the brownies and place back in the freezer for 1 – 2 hours. Remove from the freezer and cut into squares. Serve immediately or place in the fridge to keep firm before serving.

In another note, do you know about Peace One Day? Humanitarian, Jeremy Gilley started an international day of peace to create peace between nations, governments and people. Every year on September 21st participants celebrate in union with a day of non-violence and ceasefire. If you haven't seen the incredible, passionate and award winning documentary of Jeremy's journey, then buy, rent or attend a screening today. My local library is hosting a free screening, and I'm wagering yours is too!

3 comments:

EARTH MOTHER said...

Helloooo? Did someone say, chocolate?

I am all over this recipe! ☮

R3 Method Show said...

I agree with your coworkers...it looks fresh and yummy!

Anju said...

Earth Mother - Let me know how the brownies turn out when you make them. I've had the recipe for months now!! I was crazy to wait this long.

Joy Winner-or-Whiner - Everyone loves a rainbow, and this one you can eat!!

Happy International Peace Day!!

^_^

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis