Tuesday 15 December 2009

Simple Vegan Recipes

Here are a few of the vegan dishes I've been eating. Most are raw, but there's one cooked dish sneaked in there too ;)

Raw Carrot (cup)Cake (recipe from Ani Phyo's Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)


Remember the raw carrot soup I made last week? Well I made Ani's carrot cake with the leftover pulp. Since I didn't make a lot of soup, I cut the recipe by 3/4 and just made two small carrot cupcakes. The result was a light, but filling dessert (my favourite part was the creamy frosting that was surprisingly reminiscent of real cream cheese frosting!). Ani doesn't have the recipe on her website or YouTube, so you'll have to purchase her book for this one.

Raw Cranberry Zinger (recipe from Hamilton Beach)

I love this raw, healthy alternative to wine for holiday gatherings (or any other time of the year). The lemon also gives it just a touch of zing that will make your mouth sing!
  • 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
  • 1 lemon
  • 2 apples (I used honey crisp)
Toss everything in your juicer and enjoy the cranberry goodness that seeps out!

Raw Chocolate Fudge (recipe from gone raw)



  • 4 tablespoon raw cacao powder
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 tablespoon raw cashew butter
  • 1 tablespoon raw almond butter (I omitted this and used 2 tablespoons of cashew butter)
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar
  • 1 dash salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Mix everything in a bowl until well combined.

I molded the entire batch into a square, set it in the fridge overnight and cut it into four pieces the next day. Here's my first bite - rich, decadent and oh so fudgey!

Stuffed Roasted Turban Squash (inspired by Big Raw Vegan Blog)



When my mother received an organic turban squash grown by a friend, she asked me, "what am I going to do with it?" I remembered seeing a post on the Big Raw Vegan blog about stuffed squash, so I decided to try it out.

I simply cut off the top turban part (or cut an acorn or butternut squash in half), scooped out the seeds, coated the inside & outside with olive oil and stuffed the cavity with a vegan stuffing (ideally the stuffing would have been homemade, but I just used a vegan boxed one).

Toss in a 350 oven and bake for 1 hour or until tender. The turban needed more like 1 and a half, but I think that's because it was whole.

When the squash is cool enough to handle, peel off the skin (it should just slide right off now), and flip it so the stuffing side is down. The slice and serve. In the picture you can see a cross section of the yummy squash with stuffing.

6 comments:

Averie @ Averie Cooks said...

Oh those recipes looks AWESOME, Angel!
Love the carrot cake. I have Ani's little book of desserts and she has a carrot cake in it, but I havent made it. Well they're little tartes like what you made!

And the fudge looks amazing! I have seen Mathew K and Sarma make something kinda like that in one of their books. I have never made it b/c I dont like the taste of coconut oil in chocolate. Weird, but true. And I fear overpowering it w/ coconut taste and then wasting all that good nut butter and cocoa. Fill me in on how much, if any, coconut taste is imparted when u have a minute on email or in my comments so i see it LOL :)


my word verification word is: avere
so close to my name, averie!!

xoxo

Anju said...

AHH that's so scary for the word verification. It's like "they" are watching us :p

I think this recipe should still work if you omit the coconut oil.

Lori said...

Your foods look great! I will need to try the carrot cake recipe! I love Ani's recipes because they're so easy to make! Now if mine can only look as good as yours...

:)

Anju said...

Thanks Lori & that's why I really like Ani too. Her recipes are simple with simple ingredients. That's my kind of raw food! ^_^

shannonmarie said...

There's nothing wrong with a cooked dish here and there, especially when it is loaded with nutrition like that squash. It looks like it tasted good, too.

Zucchini Breath said...

The squash looks wonderful! I'm glad it worked for you and thanks for the shout out!

Happy holidays!

verification word is subis. No significance that I can see :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis