Monday 12 October 2009

Raw Vegan Thanksgiving Recipes



To my Canadian readers, happy Thanksgiving! To my readers south of the border - no you're not in a time warp. Thanksgiving is in October here in the true north strong & free. This just happens to be my first raw Thanksgiving, so I've scoured the internet and uncook books for the tastiest dishes. This Thanksgiving I'm giving thanks for quick, easy and delicious raw recipes that don't include cooking a dead bird's carcass.

Pictured above is 1 lightly steamed corn cob topped with a pat of Ani Phyo's raw olive "butter", a simple salad (cukes, tomatoes, green onion, dill and julienned carrots), raw mashed "potatoes" and raw cranberry sauce.

Raw Mashed "Potatoes" (recipe from gone raw)
  • 2 cups parsnips, washed and cubed
  • ½ cup pine nuts
  • squeeze of fresh lemon juice
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1½ cup water
Combine everything (except the water) in the food processor. Slowly add the water until the desired consistency - some people like stiff potatoes, others like them runny. I opted to julienne my parsnips first because my food processor isn't that powerful.

Festive Raw Cranberry Sauce

Holy poop! I can't believe I ever used to eat this out of a can. This recipe is so simple and so tasty. Definitely a keeper for the holidays.
  • 2 cups fresh cranberries
  • 1 apple, peeled (I used Ginger Gold)
  • 1 orange (zest first then peel, cut & quarter)
  • pinch of cinnamon
  • 5 dates, pitted
  • raw sweetener (to taste or none at all)
Combine everything in the food processor. If you like it chunky, then just pulse in the processor. If you like it smooth, then the blender might be a better choice.

Ani's Raw All American Apple Pie (recipe from Ani Phyo's Ani's Raw Food Kitchen)



I've had my eye on this recipe for a while now. With the leaves falling and the crisp Autumn air coming in, apples are at their peak in my corner of the world. So why wait any longer?! Serve à la mode with a dollop of raw serve. I halved Ani's original recipe, so the picture is a mini apple pie.

ALMOND PIE CRUST -
  • 2 cups almonds, dry
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 cups pitted dates
SYRUP -
  • 1/2 cup pitted dates
  • 1 orange, peeled and seeded
  • splash of water, as needed to make the blender go round
FILLING -
  • 5 cups apples, peeled, seeded, thinly sliced, about 5 or 6 apples
  • 1 cup raisins and/or dried cranberries (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
The directions for this pie aren't on Ani's website, so I won't publish them here. However, you can watch Ani making this pie on ABC here.

Happy (cruelty-free) Thanksgiving everyone!! Wishing you all lots of ...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a fabulous Thanksgiving meal! Bravo! The raw apple pie sounds delicious, I've been eyeing a recipes similar to that.

Anju said...

It was fabulous! The pie would be good sans crust too - the syrup is to LIVE for ;)

shannonmarie said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I like that the Canadian Thanksgiving comes first to help give raw food ideas to those of us on the other side of the border. Looks good :-)

Anju said...

LOL ya we can test all the food for you all down there. I'll probably still play around with some Thanksgiving/Fall type foods. I still haven't made anything raw with pumpkin.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, just letting you know I loved this post and used your Photo of Ani's Apple pie in my Squidoo Cookoff for charity contest.
http://www.squidoo.com/thanksgiving-raw-recipes

Thank you for sharing and I can't wait to try out her recipe!!

Anju said...

Hi Mom with a Hook,

It's a super yummy recipe (as most of Ani's are). You're going to love it. I tried to see your squidoo page, but nothing came up :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis