Monday 16 March 2009

Vegan Cinnamon Cookies


These light crispy cookies are surprisingly easy to make, and even easier to eat! I picked up a package of egg-free wonton wraps at an Asian food market, so most of the work was already done for me. Here's what you'll need:


  • 1 package of wonton wraps (read the label to make sure it doesn't include eggs)
  • vegetable oil (for frying)
  • 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 tbsp of cinnamon

In a deep skillet, heat an inch of oil on medium. Meanwhile combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Carefully add a wonton wrap into the oil and fry for 30 seconds - 1 minute or until golden brown. I used a spoon to fold half of the cookie unto itself to form a half moon shape. Using tongs or a slotted spoon remove the cookie from the oil and coat with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.

Since this was my first time frying, I burned the first few :( But after a while I got the hang of it and could fry 3 at the same time. I know what you're thinking: a deep fried cookie must be very greasy, oily and filling. But these cookies are actually the opposite. In fact, after I finished making them, I poured the oil I used for frying back into a jar to reuse, and hardly any had been absorbed into the cookies. So happy cookie frying!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis