Wednesday 4 March 2009

DIY #3: Upcycled Denim


My mom recently ripped her favourite embroidered jeans, making them unwearable, so they were passed on to me for upcycling. For some time now I've wanted to create a special pouch to hold the numerous loyalty cards I have collected over the years, but I was waiting to find the perfect fabric. It needed to be durable enough to survive the wear and tear of daily use. When I saw the cute embroidered back pockets, I knew this is what I'd been waiting for. Here's what you'll need for this craft:

  • An old pair of jeans
  • Zipper (or alternative closure)

Rip off both back pockets from the jeans. With right sides facing, sew one side of the zipper to one pocket, then sew the second. At this point you can decide the shape of your pouch. I like the idea of sewing up the edges as is and leaving the pouch with that "jeans back pocket" look. However, considering the function I needed the pouch for, I decided a rectangular shape would be best. Open the zipper half way, and stitch the other 3 sides together. Trim any excess fabric and zipper and turn right side out. Good for the environment and good for staying organized!

2 comments:

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Great idea! I love making things from old jeans - I have made a pocnic rug and messenger bag. Now i will have to try your zippered pouch idea too!

Anju said...

Thanks, I will have to check out your blog for the rug and bag ... I'm looking for ideas on what to do with the rest of the jeans :p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis