Tuesday 12 July 2011

Mint Chocolate Chia

This invigorating chia seed pudding is reminiscent of mint chocolate chip ice cream, but better!  A few weeks ago I first tried soaking a tea bag in some raw nut milk to make a chai chia pudding.  The results were amazing, and it got me thinking about all the millions of other possibilities - there's a lot of teas out there.

I know some raw food makers use extracts, but that's just not my style.  With the exception of vanilla extract, they are hard to find and expen$sive, especially if you're making something raw and sattvic and therefore need an extract that is alcohol free.

So tea is the way for me! 

Mint Chocolate Chip Chia


First decide on the "milk" you will use.  I used a raw almond milk that was made by combining a few tablespoons of raw almond butter with water in the blender.  You could also make a sweet milk by combining a banana with water in the blender (then you don't need to add sweetener later).

I like a somewhat thick chia pudding, so I used 1 cup of liquid with 1/3 cup chia seeds.  Measure out the liquid and let two mint tea bags soak in the liquid for a few hours.  Store in the fridge.  When the liquid is good and minty remove the tea bags and add the chia seeds.  For the chocolate flavour you can use raw cacao powder, but that's not sattvic.  For a caffeine-free version use a few tablespoons of carob powder instead (or you can mix both carob & chocolate powder).  Sweeten as desired with either honey, stevia or agave.  Stir everything together well and put back in the fridge to thicken up.  I like to leave it in the fridge overnight.

The next morning when I got up this minty chocolatey bowl was waiting for me ...


I couldn't believe how good it was ... so minty with a creamy chocolately taste.

You could also add some raw cacao nibs for a real mint chocolate chip experience.

I didn't have cacao nibs, so I added a banana instead. 


It was mint chocolate bliss!!


Next up for my tea soaking adventures?  I think I'll try something with a fruity tea ...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis