Wednesday 27 July 2011

Chinatown Chic Refashion

Here's my current situation: I have a cute pink chinois top that I don't really wear anymore (it's backless ... a relic from my previous life where I went out to lots of parties).


... AND a bamboo handle purse in a pattern I hate.


Hmmmm ...

Hey, why don't I combine the two to make a cute Chinese-style bamboo handled purse?  Well that's exactly what I did.


The whole thing was super easy and took me probably no longer than 30 minutes.  First I removed the collar from the top.  I love the Chinese style button.  I have to think of something fun to do with it.


Then I cut off the two long straps on each side.  The fabric comes to a point here where the straps were attached.  I decided to use these points for attaching the handles.  With right sides together, I folded the fabric into a rectangular shape and stitched the sides together leaving the pointed ends open.


Then I turned right sides out.  Folded each of the pointed ends over a bamboo handle and hand stitched them to secure.


Super easy, uber chic and 100% recycled/reused materials.  I love it!


I would love to do this with some old sari material and the square wooden handles they use in South India.  Future project for sure.  But for now I'm happy with my Chinese-Bamboo bag.


Happy re-fashioning!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis