Tuesday 16 November 2010

Raw Vegan Flax Yum Porridge


When I asked my friend and fellow yoga teacher: "What raw dish can you make with ground flax?" She told me to make a raw porridge! Why didn't I think of that? Here's the simple & easy recipe (of course it's sattvic too).

Flax Yum Porridge
  • 2-3 tablespoons ground flax
  • handful of raisins
  • handful of dates, pitted
  • dash of cinnamon
  • dash of nutmeg
  • 1 tablespoon of walnuts, chopped (or other raw nut/seed)
  • 1 tablespoon of dried, unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 tablespoon of tahini (or other raw nut butter)
  • 1 banana, sliced

Combine everything in a bowl & mix well. Next add some warm water and continue mixing. The water will help mix all the ingredients and soften the raisins. Add as much water for the consistency you desire.

After my friend suggested it to me, I think I ate this porridge for breakfast everyday in August!! Yes, it's that good.

In case you're wondering, here's some FAQ's from the Flax Council of Canada ... yes, there's a council in Canada especially for FLAX.

  • Flax seeds are high in fibre and contain more than 50% alpha-linolenic acid, which is an Omega-3 fatty acid.
  • Ground flax is more nutritious than whole flax seeds. The outer shell of flax seeds are very tough and it's hard to crack them with your teeth when chewing. Grinding up the seeds makes them easier to digest and thus easier for the body absorb the nutrients. Whole seeds may pass through the body undigested.
  • Whole flax seeds can be kept for up to one year at room temperature. Ground flax, on the other hand must be kept in the fridge in an airtight container. Ground flax will keep in the fridge for up to 3 months.
  • There are no nutritional differences between brown or golden flax seeds.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Yum is right! This looks really good. I think it's perfect for a raw foodist living in a chilly climate. Thanks for sharing!

Anju said...

Thanks for reading KT. It is very warming & comforting for those long cold winters (although I ate this all SUMMER!)

Fire Bender said...

Going to make this RIGHT NOW!!

Welcome to Real Raw Women! said...

Wow, that sounds great! I will have to try it....Right now I have been taking a couple of apples with sea salt, cinnamon, and a little water and putting it all in my Blendtech blender, mixing it uptill it becomes apple saunce.Then I add my ground up flax seed and blend it together. Sometimes I mash up a bananna and add the apple flax mixture to it.
Thanks for giving me a new idea.
Jan

Anju said...

Fire Bender - hope you enjoy the porridge. Let me know how it turns out.

WYRRW - YUM, your recipe sounds really good too. I don't have a Blendtec, but I would like to get one (or a Vitamix). I've already gone through 3 blenders since becoming raw!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis