Sunday 6 October 2013

After 5 LONG years I am finally posting this

I can hardly believe I am going to say this, but ...

Shanghai Monkey is 5 years old!

It all started five years ago with a simple vegan pumpkin pie, and the rest is blogger history. Over the years I have posted countless recipes, endless lectures on the importance of the environment and organics, the occasional DIY craft and a smattering of yoga.  Five years ago when I signed unto Blogger my dreams for this blog were quite different! Check out the newly minted "about me" page to discover the original intention of the blog.

I am glad to say that after 5 years Shanghai Monkey is still going strong.  It might not be the most popular blog, I might not have the most inventive recipes, or the most spectacular photography ... but I enjoy posting about the things that are important to me: vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, environmental consciousness, yoga and mindfulness, along with some DIYs for creativity.

Thank you to everyone who follows the blog!  I hope I have entertained, inspired, and informed you over the years.

Without further ado, and because I know you have all been waiting for 5 long years for this, here are some of my fondest ShangHai memories:


The Pearl Tower, an iconic ShangHai scene

Prayer instructions from LongHua Temple

Buddhist ceremony inside Jade Buddha Temple

The streets of ShangHai, outside Jade Buddha Temple

One of the Buddhist art exhibits inside the ShangHai Museum

The Olympic torch comes to ShangHai (on way to Beijing, who hosted in 2008)

ShangHai dessert, sweet red bean pudding with green tea jelly

Another dessert, this time a green tea roll with peach filling and rolled in red beans

This was my first visit to Asia, but certainly not my last.  I didn't know it then, but I would be traveling to Asia quite frequently over the next few years.  I met so many wonderful people in ShangHai, and became involved in a humanitarian project that was just forming.  I had planned to stay in China for a while, but alas, it just wasn't in the cards and I left at the end of 2008.  I really do have a special place in my heart for ShangHai, the blog's namesake.  Traveling there was not only the start of this blog, but many other wonderful things that came about during or shortly after that trip.

I hope you've enjoyed my trip down memory lane, I know I have!

Stay tuned for more photos from my most recent tour of South India.       


1 comment:

Mary Mo said...

Looks like you had a great time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Lawyer-ish Stuff:

All content, photographs, and text provided on this site are the property of Shanghai Monkey, unless otherwise specified, and cannot be reproduced in any form without permission of the author. All content is intended for personal use only and cannot be reproduced for sale.



© 2019 Shanghai Monkey. All rights reserved.

ShareThis